To make great compost tea, all you really need is great compost. To make great compost tea easier, it helps to have a composter with tea collector.
It’s more difficult than it might seem to find an excellent compost bin or compost tumbler that includes a spigot to harvest tea. The list below includes the best options for both traditional composting and composting with worms.
- Can fit in any space
- Company has outstanding customer service
- Dual chamber feature for continuous composting
- Easy pull out tea tray
- No mixing, blending, or turning needed
- Sturdy design makes it weatherproof allowing for continuous composting throughout the year
- A fermentation process that can be done indoors
- Can utilize all your food scraps even meat, bones, and dairy
- Easy to assemble
- Arrives with a robust informational kit for those new to worm composting
BEST COMPOSTERS WITH TEA COLLECTOR
The Envirocycle Compost Tumbler has a sleek and beautiful design that can sit on any patio, balcony, or deck. This all-in-one system consists of a solid compost tumbler bin along with a compost tea collector as the base.
We love that the Envirocycle comes in two sizes depending on your lifestyle and family size. Moreover, the company utilizes recycled materials and ships its products in a 100% recycled box.
If you are new to composting and want a composter that is easy to use, produces excellent compost, and even better compost tea, the Envirocycle is for you.
- The company offers outstanding customer service.
- The compost tumbler is compact so it will easily fit in any space, even an apartment balcony.
- It is easy to maintain and clean. Once you empty the compost you can quickly clean the inside before adding new material.
- This is a batch composter, so at some point you’ll have to stop adding materials to allow everything to decompose before further use.
- Some people find it difficult to turn when it is full since it sits low to the ground.
Good Ideas CWET-BLK Compost Wizard Enviro Tumbler has a compact design that will allow you to compost on your patio, backyard, or porch. With limited assembly required, you can start composting within minutes of receiving your composter.
The dark black plastic quickly absorbs the sun’s heat to speed the pile inside. Also, as your compost matures and you rotate your tumbler, the barrel will release excess fluid into the base so you can optimize the nutrient-rich compost tea throughout your garden and lawn.
This system also makes spreading compost a breeze with the roller drum feature. You can easily take the roller off the base to quickly spread your compost throughout your lawn and garden.
- The design of this tumbler keeps it rodent and critter-free, so you can compost in your backyard without attracting unwanted guests.
- This tumbler has a dual chamber that allows you to continue composting while waiting for other compost to mature.
- The tea drain on the bottom is easy to use. It has a bottom tray that you can pull out when your compost tea is ready.
- This tumbler has deep handles that make spinning a breeze.
- The compost tumbler’s opening hatches are only 7” so it can be difficult to quickly remove compost from the tumbler.
- The compost tumbler can retain moisture as the leak holes for water are quite small.
The Aerobin 400 is a double insulated composter making it useable all year-round in very cold and hot weather. It features a patented “lung” aeration system which allows your compost to have a continuous air supply without ever mixing or rotating your bins.
If you are looking for a composter where no turning is required, this is the composter for you! It is made from a durable polystyrene to ensure that the compost gains sufficient heat to quickly break down.
Lastly, this composter can carry up to 113 gallons of organic waste and 4 gallons of compost tea! Exaco Trading Co. also offers a two-year warranty on their product.
- The Aerobin 400 has double doors which make removing compost a breeze.
- It’s easy to assemble.
- It is very sturdy and doesn’t blow away or fall over during storms with high winds.
- It generates a lot of heat so compost warms up quickly.
- Draining the compost tea can be difficult. To make it easier to access, we recommend elevating the composter on blocks.
- The Aerobin 400 is quite tall so it can be difficult to dig out all of the compost.
- You may have to do some additional manual mixing inside the composter if you have twigs or other woody material.
It can easily fit in a mudroom, a kitchen cabinet, or on your back porch. Worms begin with food placed in the bottom tray and make their way up as new food is. No need to ever turn or spin like with a compost tumbler.
The trays weigh 12.5 pounds when they are full so it is easy to rearrange your trays and dispense compost. The Worm Factory DS3BT 3-Tray Worm Composter also comes with easy-to-follow instructions and an instructional DVD.
- Great for folks with a lot of vegetable scraps.
- Doesn’t attract unwanted pests such as mice, rats, and larger undesirable critters.
- Easy to assemble and compost with an easy-to-understand booklet plus DVD full of information on worm composting.
- Can be used indoors and outdoors- it is also the perfect size to tuck away in a kitchen cabinet!
- The lid does not seal completely which may attract fruit flies
Worm Factory 360 WF 360B Worm Composter is a great compact composter that can be used both indoors and out. It is great for those living in a small space and/or those looking to compost indoors.
The WF360B Worm Composter has four trays you can extend upward to hold eight trays if needed. It is one of the larger vermicomposters on the market. The composter comes with a ready-to-use kit that helps you get started, as well as an instructional DVD to ensure you set up your composter properly.
- Easy to assemble
- Easy-to-use “starter” kit for those who are new to vermicomposters
- The bottom tea collecting tray is easy to empty and then return
- Pest- and odor-free if you follow proper composting protocol
- There are some reports of the legs bending over time
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A COMPOSTER WITH TEA COLLECTOR
How much space do you have for your composter?
You should measure the composter and ensure you have adequate space to place in your backyard, patio, porch, or deck.
Dual or single chamber composting chambers
If you want to continuously compost while waiting for other compost to mature, then opt for a double chamber. However, if you are okay waiting for your compost to mature before adding more compost you can easily use a single chamber.
Durability in the elements
Not all composters are created equal, so if you live in a cold climate, consider a composter that is built to propel heat during the winter months. Also, consider the location you are placing the composter and if that space receives high winds. If it is in a windy location consider a heavier, more durable composter.
Indoors or outdoors?
A few of the systems can be brought indoors so if that is appealing to you opt for one that can easily fit in your kitchen.
Compost tea has so many benefits for your lawn, garden, and soil structure in general.
If you are not ready to take the plunge of building an open compost pile or if you don’t have the space, any of these five unique composting systems would be an excellent way to compost and create compost tea.i